COALITION MONTHLY NEWS: MARCH 2019
• Presale for the ALT-imate tour is available now until March 14th! Head to www.smarturl.it/olpontour and use code: 'Altimate' to get your tickets! General on sale begins March 15th.
Highlights of the Month
• Simple Plan drummer Chuck Comeau is defending the memoir Homes by Abu Bakr al Rabeeah and Winnie Yeung on Canada Reads 2019. The Canada Reads national debate takes place March 25th-28th, airing on CBC Radio One at 11 a.m. (1 p.m. AT/1:30 p.m. NT), on CBC at 3 p.m. (3:30 NT), live streamed online at CBC Books at 11 a.m. ET and will be available on the free CBC Gem streaming service.
The other panellists include actor Lisa Ray, television personality Ziya Tong, actor Yanic Truesdale, and fashion stylist Joe Zee.
You can read the full article by clicking here! Chuck was also featured on the Battle of the Books segment, which you can read and listen to by clicking here.
• Scott Helman announced his short story, "Bonnie Raitt & Spray Paint" (complete with personal photos and illustrations) will be included in his VIP add-on package for the Hang Ups tour. You can purchase tickets to any of Scott's shows by clicking here!
• We're also excited to share that Scott's video for 'Hang Ups' has been nominated for 'Video Of The Year' at the 2019 JUNO Awards.
• Curious about a day in the life of Scott Helman? IDOBI Radio released an article explaining just that! You can find the link to the article by clicking here!
• Scott has recently been in the media with Breakfast Television, CP24, CTV, iHeatRadio, and many others like Kraze, promoting all he has to offer! You can listen and watch these interviews by clicking any of the names above!
USS was featured on the Jan/Feb edition of Canadian Musician! Pick up a copy here!
• Myles Castello is on tour this month with Ezra Jordan and as support with Scott Helman.
You can purchase tickets for Myles' shows by clicking here!
• The Proud Sons will be joining The Tea Party for their Black River Tour. Tickets are still available, and you can purchase them by clicking here!
• Johnson Crook has announced a March residency at the Dakota Tavern in Toronto every Tuesday of the month! Cost is 7$ at the door! As well, they have two other shows coming up this month in Collingwood and Cambridge in Ontario! Find all the details and purchase tickets by clicking here!
• Justin Nozuka continues his 'Run To Waters' tour this month with support from Craig Cardiff! You can see all the details by heading to his website!
Spotlight: The Tea Party
The Tea Party is a Canadian rock band with blues, progressive rock, Indian and Middle Eastern influences, dubbed "Moroccan roll" by the media.
Jeff Martin grew up in Windsor, Ontario, just across the Detroit River from the home of proto-punk and the Motown sound; he was also influenced by his blues-loving father. He formed the Tea Party with multi-instrumentalists Stuart Chatwood (bass, keyboards, mandolin, and harmonium) and Jeff Burrows (drums, percussion). Martin himself plays guitars, sitar, hurdy gurdy and harp guitar. Consequently, the trio's sound marries rock with elements of Middle Eastern, Celtic and Mediterranean music. Their 1993 album, Splendor Solis, sold over one million copies in Canada; The Edges of Twilight followed, trailed in 1997 by Transmission.
The Tea Party were nominated for 22 Much Music Video Awards, and were awarded three People's Choice Awards for Favourite Music Video: two for "The River" and one for "The Bazaar". "Sister Awake" director Curtis Wehrfritz was nominated at the 1996 Juno Awards for Best Director; "Release" director Ulf Buddensieck won the Best Cinematography Award at the 1998 Juno Awards.
The Tea Party are back on tour later this month. Purchase your tickets here!
Throwbacks of the Month
Our artists here at Coalition Music have some very notable accomplishments. Here are some from the month of March over the years!
Nice Horse released their music video for 'Mansplainin' on March 9th of 2018
• Justin Nozuka released his album 'Ulysees' on March 25th of 2014, and was nominated for Adult Alternative Album of the Year at the Juno Awards on March 27th of 2011 for his Album 'You I Wind Land and Sea.'
• The Tea Party released their third studio album 'The Edges of Twilight' on March 21st of 1995.
• USS released their album, 'Questimation' on March 9th, 2009, as well as released their single 'Work Shoes (Acoustic)' on March 10th of 2017.
• Our Lady Peace released single 'Thief' on March 21st of 1994. They released their debut album, 'Naveed', on the March 22nd, 1994.
On Tour This Month
Our artists are always on the move, find out where they will be this month below!
Coalition Music on Spotify
This months Spotify Playlist theme is: Women's History Month
Our staff picked influential/groundbreaking songs by female artists that had an impact in the industry and pop culture as a whole. You can find the playlist by clicking below, and be sure to follow us!
Email your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org to win a Coalition grab bag!
This project is funded in part by FACTOR, the Government of Canada and
Canada’s private radio broadcasters. Ce projet est financé en
partie par FACTOR, le gouvernement du Canada
et les radiodiffuseurs privés du Canada.